I’ve recently had to tighten the purse strings and with Mother’s Day on the horizon, needed to come up with some innovative solutions to spoil the special lady in my life.
I began by thinking of what I would have done if I had the money and then see if it could be done on a shoestring budget.
Here are some money saving ideas for those of us who are lucky enough to give our mothers an extra dollop of love, without compromising on her experience.
Boujee: Spa getaway
Shoestring: Pamper day at home
It’s easy to create a spa environment in the comfort of your own home by setting the scene with scented candles, burning oils, relaxing music and clean fluffy towels. Make sure you get Mum to wrap up in a towel or dressing gown to really make her feel like she’s stepping into a spa and don’t forget to turn the heating up. My chosen treatment will be a facial using products that I already have in my bathroom cabinet.
- Face massage: Enriched with vitamin E, the multi purpose Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse dry oil slides onto the skin leaving it smooth and smelling of orange blossom, magnolia and vanilla. Great for the face, body and even hair.
- Gentle exfoliation: Clinique 7 Day scrub rinse of formula to give your face a gentle scrub.
- Tone and cleanse: Not sold as a cleanser or a toner, Origins alcohol free A Perfect World Treatment Lotion is perfect for both jobs. With an added bonus of being packed with age defying properties, it will leave skin refreshed and prepped for the next treatment.
- Face mask: For some serious deep cleansing, SHILLS original peel off black charcoal mask will unclog pores and definitely make mum feel like she’s had something done to her face. Be very gentle when peeling it off, the industrial sticking power of this is unreal and could be painful! For something gentler, stick to just the t-zone area or try a soothing clay mask instead. Don’t forget to pop a couple of cucumber slices on her eyes to gently soothe away stress and puffiness.
- Tone and cleanse: Repeat step 3
- Moisturise: What better way to end a facial than infusing mums skin with 24k gold. Farsali 24k Rose Gold Elixir is another product with anti-aging benefits and multiple uses. Containing real flakes of gold, a few drops of this goes a long way and will leave skin beautifully glowing, radiant and with a gorgeous citrus aroma.
These products are quite pricey and were purchased some time ago. As long as you have a cleanser, toner, mask and moisturiser, you can’t go wrong because it’s not what you use, it’s the love and attention you give to your mum that will create the ultimate Mother’s Day experience for her. Which Mum doesn’t love to be pampered!
You can also make most of your facial products at home. For example, mix some some coconut oil and sugar to make a natural exfoliant. For a refreshing toner, combine 1 part rosewater with 1 part witch hazel and add a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice to balance out the skins ph and help retain moisture. To make your own facial oil, check out https://www.homemademommy.net/2014/08/the-best-homemade-facial-serum-ever.html
Or if this is all too much, try a simple back or shoulder massage using affordable baby oil.
Boujee: Afternoon Tea at the Shard
Shoestring: Afternoon Tea at my flat
What will make it different to any other time my mums come over? The presentation!
I found some great buys from Poundland including presentation doilies, a card tiered cake stand and a sandwich cut out set.
For those who want to spend more than 99p, IKEA also have some cute table cloths for £10 and matching plastic cutlery. I myself will be raiding my mums best china cupboard whilst she isn’t looking. I also found this fantastic post on afternoon tea at home to draw some inspiration from at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-throw-afternoon-tea-party
Again if this isn’t your “cup of tea” why not just go back to basics and cook her a meal. All you have to do is make sure she doesn’t lift a finger.
Shoestring: Vouchers offering my services
My mums always asking me to style her hair and paint her nails, so why not capitalise on this by offering it as a tangible gift? There will of course be terms and conditions attached to the manicure, pedicure and blow dry.
Boujee: Flowers from Maison des fleurs
Shoestring budget: Potted plant
I found a really cute Aloe Vera plant for £3.50 and a gold plant pot for £1.50 that I know she’ll love from a visit to IKEA. I also spotted some beautiful orchids for £6.50 which Sainsbury’s sell for more than double the price at £15! So for something that lasts longer than a bouquet of flowers from Interflora, I would highly recommend some potted plants from IKEA who offer a huge choice to suit any budget.
- Bonsai tree £69
- Lemon tree £20
- Orchid £6.50
- Aloe Vera plant £3.50
Well it’s still only Saturday so this could all go down like a lead balloon tomorrow. Kidding folks! I’m sure my mum will absolutely love her day. A wise man once said,
“Who being loved, is poor?” Oscar Wilde
Happy mother day xxx